- Always take gaffa tape. Not matter how your friends scoff, they’ll end up using it.
- Don’t worry about getting a penknife through security. As long as your friend has cutlery, they won’t notice you.
- Never conduct German lessons on the metro.
- Always read the instructions for cooking pasta.
- Gits are far superior to gîtes.
- Always look at the ceilings in art galleries.
- If you meet a Mexican on the train, just say no.
- ALWAYS check the location of your hostel first.
- Always climb things. You might be amazed.
- Always take a lighter to the opera.
- If someone asks to take pictures of your toes, SAY NO.
- Don’t draw pictures of hedgehogs next to information that you might need to show people.
- Don’t validate your ticket the first time you get on a tram; wait until you have to.
- Don’t drop your backpack on a nun.
- Just because it’s pretty, don’t expect it to have running water.
- Make friends with the hostel cat for an attentive conversation partner.
- Don’t cheat at rummy unless you want to be penalised.
- Always take a journal.
Monday, January 25, 2016
As I will shortly be heading off on an adventure, I've been looking back through the journal I kept while interrailing with two friends almost five years ago. I found this list on one of the front pages.